Monday, April 30, 2012

chapter 3


Chapter 3 Argument Based on Character: Ethos is about how character is a sort of argument. This is true because if you represent yourself with a certain image that image itself will argue what you believe in. The example they used in the chapter was a car company that presented itself as a company that sold affordable cars so that everyone can get one. By doing this the company’s image will argue that their product is better than a company that sold more expensive company car.

    My favorite section was Understanding How argument based on Character Work. This section talked about why we use ethos in our everyday life. We use it because we can’t weigh every claim and spend a mass amount of time to figure out if it’s true or not. We need to take short cuts and that’s what’s ethos is for. The sample that they used in the textbook that I like was when they used a professor. You’re going to trust more of what your professor has to say rather than what an average Joe would say. You believe the professor more because what their teaching is usually what their best at. An average Joe wouldn’t be able to go in depth as a professor would.
 That section I could connect to my life in many ways.  I know theirs friends that when they tell me I’m going to believe them more than someone I know that is a compulsive liar. This is what the section and the chapter in general is trying to teach us. By presenting a certain image of yourself people
will believe what you have to say more and are also swayed inadvertently as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment